One of the most important programs of the Charles County Arts Alliance (CCAA) is our Arts Grants Program. It has been the focal point of our organization ever since we were founded in 1987. Arts Grants have been awarded annually since then and to date our CCAA grant contributions have totaled over $800,000 to deserving nonprofit organizations and schools in Charles County to enhance their planned programs, project, events and activities. In FY 2019, the CCAA awarded 0ver $65,000 in grants to 16 organizations, 17 schools and the Charles County Board of Education. Two types of Arts Grants are awarded each year:
- Community Arts Development Grants (CAD) – Awarded to Non-Profit organizations
- Arts In Education Grants (AIE) – Awarded to schools
Our Grant program is a very competitive process, and decisions are made based upon the submission of a formal grant application, rating and ranking by the CCAA Grant Committee, and final review and approval by the CCAA Board of Directors. In all applications, the applicant organization must provide a cash match for any grant funds being requested, on a 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 or 4:1 basis, depending upon the grant amount being requested. Grants are reviewed on the basis of three main criteria:
- Artistic merit
- Fiscal accountability
- Service to the community
The CCAA Grant Committee is chaired by a member of the CCAA Board of Directors, and includes additional Board members and members of the local community. Grant panel members must file a written disclosure form listing all their arts-related affiliations in advance to avoid any conflict of interest. The annual grant round for CCAA Arts Grants follows the typical schedule below:
- August 2019 – FY 2020 Grant applications posted to CCAA website.
- October 4, 2019 – All CAD grant applications received (not postmarked) in the CCAA Office by noon.
- October 19, 2018 – CCAA Grant Committee meets to review the grant applications.
- October 31, 2019 – Deadline for the submission of AIE Grants.
- November 2, 2019 – Notification letters and Grant Agreements sent out to all grant recipients.
- November 13, 2019 – Deadline for all grant recipients to return signed Grant Agreements.
- November 16, 2019 – CCAA Grantees awarded grant checks at the CCAA Annual Gala.
- 21 Days Following Completion of the Project – Final Grant Reports due from all CCAA grantees.
Congratulations to the FY 2020 CCAA Grant Recipients!
Arts in Education Grantees
Archbishop Neale School
Arthur Middleton Elementary School
Benjamin Stoddert Middle School
Berry Elementary School
Charles County Board of Education
Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School
Dr. James Craik Elementary School
Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School
Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Elementary School
Gale-Bailey Elementary School
Indian Head Elementary School
Grace Lutheran Church and School
J.C. Parks Elementary School
John Hanson Middle School
J.P. Ryon Elementary School
Malcolm Elementary School
Mary B. Neal Elementary School
Mary H. Matula Elementary School
North Point High School
St. Charles Children’s Learning Center
St. Charles High School
Walter J. Mitchell Elementary School
Community Arts Development Grantees
Charles County Department of Community Services Aging & Senior Programs
Charles County Freedom Landing
Charles County Public Library
Charles County Youth Orchestra
Chesapeake Choral Arts Society
Children’s Voices of Southern Maryland
Christ Church, La Plata
College of Southern Maryland
College of Southern Maryland Foundation
Friends of Chapman State Park
Ivy and Pearls of Southern Maryland Community Charities
Korean American Cultural Arts Foundation
Life Journeys Writers Guild
Mattawoman Creek Art Center
Music Teachers Association of Charles County
Nanjemoy Community Center
Port Tobacco Players