One of the most important programs of the Charles County Arts Alliance (CCAA) is our Arts Grants Program. It has been the focal point of our organization ever since we were founded in 1987. Arts Grants have been awarded annually since then and to date our CCAA grant contributions have totaled over $750,000 to deserving nonprofit organizations and schools in Charles County to enhance their planned programs, project, events and activities. In FY 2018, the CCAA awarded nearly $49,000 in grants to 20 organizations, 6 schools and the Charles County Board of Education. Two types of Arts Grants are awarded each year:
- Community Arts Development Grants (CAD) – Awarded to nonprofit organizations
- Arts In Education Grants (AIE) – Awarded to schools
Our Grant program is a very competitive process, and decisions are made based upon the submission of a formal grant application, rating and ranking by the CCAA Grant Committee, and final review and approval by the CCAA Board of Directors. In all applications, the applicant organization must provide a cash match for any grant funds being requested, on a 1:1, 2:1, or 3:1 basis, depending upon the grant amount being requested. Grants are reviewed on the basis of three main criteria:
- Artistic merit
- Fiscal accountability
- Service to the community
The CCAA Grant Committee is chaired by a member of the CCAA Board of Directors, and includes additional Board members and members of the local community. Grant panel members must file a written disclosure form listing all their arts-related affiliations in advance to avoid any conflict of interest. The annual grant round for CCAA Arts Grants follows the typical schedule below:
- August 3, 2018 – Grant applications posted to CCAA website.
- October 1, 2018 – All CAD grant applications received (not postmarked) in the CCAA Office by noon.
- October 13, 2018 – CCAA Grant Committee meets to review the CAD applications.
- November 2, 2018 – All AIE grant applications due in the CCAA office by noon.
- November 5, 2018 – CCAA Board reviews/approves recommendations of Grant Committee.
- November 6, 2018 – Notification letters and Grant Agreements sent out to all AIE and CAD grant recipients.
- November 13, 2018 – Deadline for all grant recipients to return signed Grant Agreements.
- November 17, 2018 – CCAA Grantees awarded grant checks at the CCAA Annual Grantee and Membership Gala.
- 21 Days Following Completion of the Project – Final Grant Reports due from all CCAA grantees.
Congratulations to the FY 2019 CCAA Grant Recipients!
Arts in Education Grantees
Archbishop Neale School
Arthur Middleton Elementary School
Benjamin Stoddert Middle School
Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School
Dr. James Craik Elementary School
Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School
Dr.Samuel A. Mudd Elementary School
Gale-Bailey Elementary School
Grace Christian Academy
Grace Lutheran Church and School
Henry E. Lackey High School
J.C. Parks Elementary School
Malcolm Elementary School
Mary H. Matula Elementary School
Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School
St. Charles Children’s Learning Center
Westlake High School
Community Arts Development Grantees
Charles County Youth Orchestra
Charles County Department of Community Services Aging & Senior Programs
Charles County Freedom Landing
Charles County Public Library
Chesapeake Choral Arts Society
College of Southern Maryland
College of Southern Maryland Foundation
Friends of Chapman State Park
Korean American Cultural Arts Foundation
Life Journeys Writers Guild
Mattawoman Creek Art Center
Music Teachers Association of Charles County
Nanjemoy Community Center
Port Tobacco Players
The Southern Maryland Carousel Group