One of the most important programs of the Charles County Arts Alliance (CCAA) is our Arts Grants Program. It has been the focal point of our organization ever since we were founded in 1987. Arts Grants have been awarded annually since then and to date our CCAA grant contributions have totaled over $750,000 to deserving nonprofit organizations and schools in Charles County to enhance their planned programs, project, events and activities. In FY 2018, the CCAA awarded nearly $49,000 in grants to 20 organizations, 6 schools and the Charles County Board of Education. Two types of Arts Grants are awarded each year:
- Community Arts Development Grants (CAD) – Awarded to nonprofit organizations
- Arts In Education Grants (AIE) – Awarded to schools
Our Grant program is a very competitive process, and decisions are made based upon the submission of a formal grant application, rating and ranking by the CCAA Grant Committee, and final review and approval by the CCAA Board of Directors. In all applications, the applicant organization must provide a cash match for any grant funds being requested, on a 1:1, 2:1, or 3:1 basis, depending upon the grant amount being requested. Grants are reviewed on the basis of three main criteria:
- Artistic merit
- Fiscal accountability
- Service to the community
The CCAA Grant Committee is chaired by a member of the CCAA Board of Directors, and includes additional Board members and members of the local community. Grant panel members must file a written disclosure form listing all their arts-related affiliations in advance to avoid any conflict of interest. The annual grant round for CCAA Arts Grants follows the typical schedule below:
- August 3, 2018 – Grant applications posted to CCAA website.
- October 1, 2018 – All CAD grant applications received (not postmarked) in the CCAA Office by noon.
- October 13, 2018 – CCAA Grant Committee meets to review the CAD applications.
- October 31, 2018 – All AIE grant applications due in the CCAA office by noon.
- November 5, 2018 – CCAA Board reviews/approves recommendations of Grant Committee.
- November 6, 2018 – Notification letters and Grant Agreements sent out to all AIE and CAD grant recipients.
- November 13, 2018 – Deadline for all grant recipients to return signed Grant Agreements.
- November 17, 2018 – CCAA Grantees awarded grant checks at the CCAA Annual Grantee and Membership Gala.
- 21 Days Following Completion of the Project – Final Grant Reports due from all CCAA grantees.
Public Schools: Please contact Tim Bodamer at the Charles County Board of Education for more details
Click HERE to download an AIE Grant Application for Public Schools
Click HERE to download an AIE Grant Application for Non-Public Schools
Click HERE to download a CAD General Operating Grant Application
Click HERE to download a CAD Special Project Grant Application
Congratulations to the FY 2018 CCAA Grant Recipients!
Arts in Education Grantees
Archbishop Neale School
Grace Christian Academy
Henry E. Lackey High School
J.C. Parks Elementary School
La Plata High School
St. Charles Children’s Learning Center
Community Arts Development Grantees
Charles County Government – Department of Community
Services / Aging & Senior Programs
Charles County Freedom Landing
Charles County Public Library
Chesapeake Choral Arts Society
College of Southern Maryland
College of Southern Maryland Foundation
Korean American Cultural Arts Foundation
Life Journeys Writers Guild
Mattawoman Creek Art Center
Music Teachers Association of Charles County
Nanjemoy Community Center
Port Tobacco Players